Much like the double header bracelets and neck cuffs open at the front, ring designs with a noticeable gap are very much in style this season. These cuff-style rings, also known as U-shape rings, create the look of decorative elements positioned between the fingers.
A U-shape ring from SheBee Gem is featured in the June 2014 issue of Vogue. The model wears a Nina Ricci dress and carries sandals from Marni and a Marc Jacobs tote.
A double-finger U-shape ring (perhaps this should be referred to as a W-shape ring) by Etro is featured in the May 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. Also pictured is a mixed media Lizzie Fortunato necklace and a wristwatch by TAG Heuer.
An editor’s style picks in the June-July 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar include a U-shape ring from Repossi. Also pictured are a Bulgari “Serpenti” bracelet, a Cartier pendant necklace, an Ana Khouri pearl ear cuff, Jennifer Fisher “Batwing” earrings, a Patek Philippe watch, and a second wristwatch from Hermes.
A current ad from Van Cleef & Arpels features several versions of the style, including the floral Cosmos “Between the Finger Ring” of white gold with onyx and diamonds.
In its multi-page version of the ad, Van Cleef & Arpels expounds on its U-shape design: “Since it was founded in 1906, the Maison has brought creativity and poetry to the art of wearing jewelry. The Between the Finger Ring, designed as an ornament for the hand, has become a Van Cleef & Arpels signature.” A second version of the ring, the Flying Butterfly Ring of mystery-set sapphires and diamonds, is pictured above.
- Ana Khouri: pearl ear cuff in 18kt gold (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $2,900
- Bulgari: “Serpenti” wrap bracelet (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), price upon request
- Cartier: “Amulette de Cartier” pendant necklace of pink gold with onyx and diamonds (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $4,450
- Etro: double-ringer ring with Swarovski crystals (5/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $308
- Hermes: wristwatch (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $13,000
- Jennifer Fisher: “Batwing Earrings with Pave White Diamonds” (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $5,700
- Lizzie Fortunato: “Tokyo Sunrise Amulet Necklace” multi-media charm necklace on braided strand (5/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $235
- Patek Philippe: wristwatch (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), price upon request
- Repossi: “Serti Sur Vide Collection” ring (6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), price upon request
- SheBee Gems: “Double Trouble Ring” of topaz and sapphires with 18kt gold trim in sterling silver with rhodium wash (6/14 Vogue), $525
- TAG Heuer: wristwatch (5/14 Harper’s Bazaar), price upon request
- Van Cleef & Arpels: Cosmos “Between the Finger Ring” of white gold with onyx and diamonds (ad), price upon request