Stud earrings have long been the earrings of choice when a statement necklace demands the viewer’s eye and neighboring unadorned earlobes look naked without a bit of sparkle or gleam. They’ve taken an important supporting role with many a fashion editorial or red carpet look. This season, however, stud earrings have come into their own – a style favored with or without an accompanying necklace – from the pages of Vogue to the red carpet at the Emmy Awards.
Diamond stud earrings are a classic choice, an elegant mainstay of many a jewelry wardrobe. Actress Claire Danes appears on the cover of the August 2013 issue of Vogue wearing diamond stud earrings from De Beers with her Burberry Prorsum trench coat and belt.
Superstar Jennifer Lopez provides “tricks to provide instant glam” in the September 2013 issue of People Style Watch, including the tip “Go for high-shine and dazzling details.” She comments, “I’m a big accessories girl, so I’ll always wear a pair of hoops or diamond studs and lots of rings. I love embellishment for a bit of sparkle.” To get her look at a budget price, the magazine suggests Roberta Chiarella’s studs in 10kt gold-plated metal and cubic zirconium. Also pictured is goldtone ring set from ShopLately.
Gemstones other than white diamonds are also a popular choice for stud earrings. In the October 2013 issue of People Style Watch, actress Blake Lively is pictured wearing emerald stud earrings from Lorraine Schwartz. To get her look, the magazine suggests Roberta Chiarella’s green crystal stud earrings.
The September 2013 issue of Elle spotlights rose amethyst stud earrings from Tacori that measure a bit over half an inch in diameter.
In the new ad campaign for Covergirl’s Queen Collection lip color, Queen Latifah wears large red gemstone stud earrings that relate to the colors she is wearing.
In the October 2013 issue of More, Queen Latifah wears Le Vian Chocolate Diamond studs set in 14kt white gold.. Her dress is by Angela Dean for Deanzign.
Less formal, more playful designs in stud earrings are a popular option that inject a bit of personality into the style choice. Stars wearing stars is a favored theme this season:
Actress Angie Harmon appears in the September 2013 issue of More wearing the star-shaped Illa diamond earrings from Hearts on Fire with a sexy Diane von Furstenberg jumpsuit.
Another pair of diamond-adorned star-shaped stud earrings, these from Finn, adorn the ears of actress Zooey Deschanel in the September 2013 issue of Marie Claire. Her plaid dress is from Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane.
Actress Emma Stone favors 14kt white gold and diamond stars from Dana Rebecca Designs, about which the August 2013 issue of People Style Watch notes: “Emma has worn these gorgeous sparkly earrings everywhere–from the red carpet to a coffee run!”
Diamond starbursts are the design of choice of Nicole Richie, as pictured in the September 2013 issue of People Style Watch. Her earrings are from H. Stern. The magazine offers a starburst look from Yochi as an inexpensive option.
Gold roses centered with round diamonds from Hearts on Fire are spotlighted in the October 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. Also featured is a studded pearl choker from Marie-Helene de Taillac, a pendant necklace from Eddie Borgo, and a wristwatch from TAG Heuer.
Stud earrings that add a bit of gleam provide a more subtle option. The September 2013 issue of People Style Watch pictures a pair of goldtone pyramid-shaped stud earrings from Michael Kors in a spread on office-appropriate fashion.
Simple gold balls add just a touch of shine near the model’s face in this ad from Anne Klein, which also features the design house’s wristwatch.
The August 2013 issue of Elle styles a nautical look with mother of pearl earrings from Van Cleef & Arpels along with a striped pullover and wool cap from Ralph Lauren Collection, a wool turtleneck from Paper London, wool pants from Derek Lam, and that huge buckle Calvin Klein belt about which I wrote earlier this week, once again illustrating how fashion editorial handles the issue of scale this season.
One creative rethinking of stud earring design that has received a great deal of editorial attention is the Mise en Dior earring collection from Dior. The earrings are designed much like men’s cufflinks, with a small glass pearl on one end and a larger, more colorful bead on the other. The earrings are worn with the smaller of the beads in front of the ear with the larger one behind. The resulting look is fresh and unexpected.
The Mise en Dior earrings in white and black are pictured in this editor’s wish list in the September 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. Also pictured are barbed wire style bracelets from Balenciaga, a Cartier ring, and a vintage Rolex wristwatch.
- Anne Klein: goldtone stud earrings, approximately 1/4 inch in diameter, $12; goldtone wristwatch, details unavailable
- Balenciaga bracelets, palladium finish on brass, $425 each
- Cartier: “Entrelaces” ring in 18kt white gold, $1,260
- Dana Rebecca Designs: star-shaped “Julianna Himiko Earrings” of 14kt white gold and diamonds, $440
- De Beers: diamond stud earrings, price upon request
- Dior: “Mise en Dior” earrings, as pictured, $350
- Eddie Borgo: pendant necklace (details unavailable), $700
- Finn: “Pave Star Studs,” 0.38 ct pave diamonds in 18kt white gold, $2,850
- Hearts on Fire: “Illa” cluster stud earrings, 0.65 ct diamonds in 18kt white gold, $3,950; rose earrings, diamonds in 18kt rose gold, $2,975
- H. Stern: “Stars Earrings” in 18kt gold with diamonds, $2,200
- Le Vien: Chocolate Diamond studs set in 14kt white gold, price upon request
- Lorraine Schwartz: emerald stud earrings, price upon request
- Marie-Helene de Taillac: studded pearl necklace, price upon request
- Michael Kors: “Pyramid Stud Earrings” of goldtone metal, $55
- Roberta Chiarella: “Award Winning Studs” of 10kt gold-plated metal and cubic zirconium, $58; “Emerald Green Super Studs” crystal earrings, $28
- Rolex: Vintage watch, details unavailable
- ShopLately: “Studs ‘n Spikes Ring Set” in goldtone metal, $11.50 for 3 rings
- Tacori: rose amethysts set in sterling silver with 18kt rose gold accents from the “Blushing Rose” collection, $810
- TAG Heuer: “Carrera” wristwatch with 18kt rose gold case, mother of pearl dial, and black alligator strap, $8,900
- Van Cleef & Arpels: mother of pearl stud earrings, $2,250
- Yochi: rhodium-plated metal earrings with rhinestones, $39