Earrings consisting of a post, wire or small hoop from which is suspended a simple drop, such as a pearl, bead, prong-set gemstone or orb, are perennially popular. The posts may be similar in size to the drops and may be simple or elaborate. Jewelry crafters produce endless variations of the wire or “shepherd’s hook” versions. These earrings are perfect for daytime wear. They add just a touch of refinement to an ensemble, and bring a bit of movement and light next to the wearer’s face. This season, this design has caught the collective eye of the fashion press.
Actress Reese Witherspoon graces the cover of the May 2015 issue of InStyle wearing small hoops from which are suspended small drops. The earrings are from Pomellato. Her elliptical diamond and platinum ring is from Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.
The April 2015 issue of People Style Watch documents that Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, favors pearl drops suspended from 18 karat gold hoops by Annoushka. The magazine presents an inexpensive costume version of the style from Yochi.
The cover of the April 2015 issue of Lucky pictures style icon Suki Waterhouse wearing faux pearl drop earrings from Carolee with a trendy gingham check dress from Altuzarra.
On the cover of the May 2015 issue of Vogue, actress Carey Mulligan wears a halter dress from Michael Kors accompanied by delicate drop star earrings studded with diamonds from Blackbird and the Snow.
The March 2015 issue of O, the Oprah Magazine pairs an elaborate drop earring from Julie Vos, consisting of a filigree ball suspended from a diamond-shaped stone, with mid-Century modern looks, recommending: “To keep the look from getting costumey, wear just one retro piece and keep everything else current.” Also selected to accompany the mid-Century-inspired designs is a Y-shaped snake necklace from Elizabeth Cole. In a separate collage on the page, a pair of “Modern Screw Cuff” bracelets from Miansai accompanies what is referred to as “Utilitarian” style.
A look from Dior is accented in the March 2015 issue of Town & Country with small drop earrings either from Dior or from Larkspur & Hawk, the specifics not stated.
Actress Julianne Moore is pictured in the March 2015 issue of InStyle wearing Balenciaga with unidentified small drop earrings. To get her look, the magazine suggests: “Nothing brightens up your face quite like a pair of sparklers that reflect the light. Bonus: They’re sure to make you smile–always a good look.” The featured earrings similar to Moore’s pair are from Swarovski.
- Annoushka: “Baroque Pearl Earring Drops” (4/15 People Style Watch), $490
- Blackbird and the Snow: lever-back “Fancy Diamond Star Earrings” of a antiqued 14kt gold and diamonds (5/15 Vogue), $4,525
- Carolee: faux pearl drop earrings (4/15 Lucky), $24
- Elizabeth Cole: gold-plated Y-style snake necklace accented with Swarovski crystals (3/15 O, the Oprah Magazine), $270
- Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.: elliptical “Sevillana” ring of diamonds in platinum (5/15 InStyle), $9,800
- Julie Vos: “Versailles Sphere Earrings” 24kt gold-plated and rose quartz (3/15 O, the Oprah Magazine), $165
- Miansai: gold-plated “Screw Cuff Bracelets” (3/15 O, the Oprah Magazine), $185 to $200
- Pomellato: small hoop earrings with drops (5/15 InStyle), price upon request
- Swarovski: Swarovski crystal and rhodium-plated earrings (3/15 InStyle), $79
- Yochi: “Pearl Hoop Earrings” of gold-plated metal with faux pearls (4/15 People Style Watch), $29