Just as designers are finding a myriad of fresh ways to adorn ears with jewelry this season, so too the fingers are the beneficiary of an exciting range of creative ideas for adornment. Primary among them is the placement of rings mid-finger or even closer to the fingertips, a style referred to as “midi rings.” A “cage ring” takes this direction to its logical conclusion and covers the fingernail entirely.
In the July 2014 issue of Marie Claire, actress Mila Kunis wears a stack of rings midi fashion: a geometric ring by Luis Morais and a multi-band cage ring by Yeprem. She also wears a diamond bracelet from Hearts on Fire and an ear cuff by Alessandra Mackenzie. Her dress is from Victoria Beckham.
Actress Elisabeth Moss wears a pair of rings, one mid-finger, from Jacquie Aiche along with earrings from H.Stern in this photo from the May 2014 issue of InStyle. Her ensemble is by Gucci.
A recent ad for Versace features Lady Gaga wearing four rings staggered low on her fingers, along with a chunky pendant necklace.
One look favored by stylists is that of staggered placement of midi rings on multiple fingers, as seen in this photo from the June/July 2014 issue of Lucky. The rings are by Catbird. The model wears a Dolce & Gabbana bikini, Gillian & O’Malley robe and Scunci headband.
Catbird rings are also featured in the March 2014 issue of Glamour, accessorizing a Thakoon Addition cape and blouse and J.Crew skirt.
Celebrities have been taking this trend to the extreme. The April 21, 2014 issue of People reports that the singer Rihanna was pictured wearing 35 rings by Lizzie Mandler, and that the singer Kesha also “layered on the finger bling” in another close-up photo.
- Alessandra Mackenzie: diamond ear cuff (7/14 Marie Claire), $2,613 for pair
- Catbird: thin rings (6-7/14 Lucky and 3/14 Glamour), $44 to $148 each
- Hearts on Fire: diamond bracelet (7/14 Marie Claire), price upon request
- H.Stern: 18kt gold earrings (5/14 InStyle), price upon request
- Jacquie Aiche: rings (5/14 InStyle), price upon request
- Lizzie Mandler: rings (4/21/14 People), prices upon request
- Luis Morais: geometric ring (7/14 Marie Claire), $1,463
- Versace: rings (ad), prices upon request; chunky pendant necklace (ad), price upon request
- Yeprem: “Guinevere Chainmail” pinky ring of 18kt rose gold and diamonds with flexible panel of chain mail that covers the fingernail (7/14 Marie Claire), $3,200