A new collection of industrial designs is back on the fashion radar. “Best Accessories Built to Last” is the clever title of a stunning multi-page photo spread in the September 2014 issue of Marie Claire featuring a “construction zone, where designers have assembled a strong selection of shoes and handbags for the fall season and beyond.” Although jewelry is not featured in the Marie Claire spread, it demonstrates the industrial theme in fashion this season.
A similar flurry of industrial jewelry designs appeared back in 2012, as documented in my blog post for JCKonline.com of August 16, 2012. I wrote:
“The work bench is inspiring jewelry design this season, led by traditional and newly introduced jewelry designs from Cartier. Designer Aldo Cipullo conceptualized and created the screw-studded Love bracelet for Cartier back in the 1970s, a design that has achieved iconic status over the decades. Cartier describes the bracelet as “the symbol of genuine loving attachment, a discreet token of passionate love. Your loved one will lock it firmly onto your wrist with the aid of a golden screwdriver of which he will remain the guardian.” Cipullo is profiled in the May 2012 issue of Town & Country, which announces the launch of Cartier’s new Juste un Clou collection, which translates as “Just a Nail.”"
A pave diamond-covered version of the Cartier “Juste un Clou” bracelet appears in the September 2014 issue of Marie Claire. Also featured are a necklace with black and white diamonds from AS29, a cuff bracelet of black gold from Repossi, and a two-tone mink strap wristwatch from Fendi.
Padlocks worn on chains as a jewelry motif seem like old news, although Chanel’s designs are receiving plenty of press now, months after designers such as Michael Kors and Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy introduced their versions in the winter of 2013, a style I discussed in my blog post of January 31, 2014. The Chanel Padlock Necklace, introduced in the Fall/Winter 2014 collection, features an inlay of tweed in some of the variations, such as those pictured above in the June/July 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar.
A gold-plated metal and tweed version of the Chanel Padlock Necklace appears in the August 2014 issue of Elle.
The September 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar contains a four-page spread entitled “Tools of the Trade: Gear up for fall with hardware-inspired accessories.” The only jewelry featured is the Chanel Padlock necklace, seen above.
Not to be outdone, the September 2014 issue of Elle features actress Kristen Stewart on the cover, wearing no less than five Chanel Padlock Necklaces in various iterations, including some that incorporate Plexiglas.
Other designs also reflect an industrial aesthetic. Square designs with hard angles may fall into this category, a trend I covered in my blog post of June 10, 2014. A necklace of hard-edged blocks from Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane is spotlighted in the August 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar.
The August 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar also features a spread of bright orange accessories and cool metal jewelry: large skinny tusk earrings in 14kt white gold from Jennifer Fisher; a silvery bracelet from Balenciaga, and a chunky mixed-metal brass collar necklace from Marni with screw details.
The September 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar spotlights this unusual ring from Chloe.
An ad from designer David Webb features the “Twisted Nail Bangle” from the designer’s “Tool Chest Collection,” a design that originated in 1971. The ad appears in the September 2014 issue of C, California Style.
- AS29: necklace with black and white diamonds (9/14 Marie Claire), price upon request
- Balenciaga: silvery bracelet (8/14 Harper’s Bazaar)(details not provided), $365
- Cartier: pave diamond covered Juste un Clou bracelet (9/14 Marie Claire), price upon request
- Chanel: “Chanel Padlock Necklace” (9/14 Elle, 9/14 Harper’s Bazaar, 8/14 Elle, 6-7/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $2300 – $3,300
- Chloe: “Djill Disc Ring” of gold-toned brass (9/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $345
- David Webb: “Twisted Nail Bangle” of hammered 18kt gold from the “Tool Chest Collection” (ad), $8,200
- Fendi: two-tone mink strap wristwatch (9/14 Marie Claire), price upon request
- Jennifer Fisher: “Large Skinny Tusk Hoop” earrings in 14kt white gold (8/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $2,050
- Marni: brass and silver plate “Mixed-Metal Necklace” with screw details (8/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $600
- Repossi: 18kt black gold cuff (9/14 Marie Claire), price upon request
- Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane: chunky necklace (8/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $4,595