Almost every fresh jewelry design starts with an actual or virtual stroke of a pen — the creation of line. This season, a wide variety of intriguing designs in jewelry retain a highly linear look.
What these looks have in common is that the lines of the design remain consistent in thickness or width. Some of the linear designs are angular; others incorporate gentle curves. Some designs are full of energy and only slightly more mannered than the “scribble” designs that were so prominent at the end of 2014, discussed in my blog post of January 7, 2015. Intriguing linear designs catch the eye and encourage it to move along the structure of the piece. Here are some of the season’s linear looks in jewelry:
Actress Taylor Schilling wears long linear earrings with a symmetrical angular design by Vanessa Gade in the June 2015 issue of InStyle.
The July 2015 issue of Marie Claire spotlights linear rounded rectangular earrings from Dior with a Versace dress on singer/actress Rita Ora.
A double-link version of the Dior rounded rectangular earrings is spotlighted in the September 2015 issue of Glamour.
Linear earrings that hook over the ears from Sarah & Sebastian and Dion Lee, a pair of Australian labels, are spotlighted in the July 2015 issue of Elle.
The August 2015 issue of Glamour spotlights spike-tipped linear shepherd’s hook earrings from Katie Diamond Jewelry.
An ear cuff of graduated loops from Lynn Ban Jewelry is featured in the August 2015 issue of Harper’s Bazaar along with gemstone-accented twisted linear double drop earrings from Marco Bicego and a narrow diamond-accented bracelet from Hearts on Fire. Also pictured in the spread are gem-laden animal motif hoop earrings from Effy Jewelry and classic wristwatches from Baume & Mercier and Movado.
White metal jewelry accompanies gray fashions in another spread in the August 2015 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. The linear designs include a squiggle bracelet from Balenciaga, a narrow cuff from Roberto Coin; circular earrings from Swarovski, and a highly dimensional ring of multiple loops from De Grisogono.
- Balenciaga: squiggle bracelet (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $745
- Baume & Mercier: wristwatch (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $3,400
- De Grisogono: ring of multiple loops (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $5,700
- Dior: Rounded rectangular earrings (7/15 Marie Claire), $440; double drop rounded rectangular earrings (9/15 Glamour), $440
- Effy Jewelry: “Signature Diamond & Emerald Earrings” in 14kt white gold (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $5,200
- Hearts on Fire: “Copley Multi-Stone Bangle” of 18kt gold and diamonds (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $3,300
- Katie Diamond Jewelry: “Ivy Threader Earrings” of 18kt gold vermeil with gemstone spikes (8/15 Glamour), $145
- Lynn Ban Jewelry: “Sonic Ear Cuff” in matte black (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $8,700
- Marco Bicego: gem-accented twisted double-drop earrings of 18kt gold (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $3,700
- Movado: wristwatch (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $795
- Roberto Coin: bangle bracelet (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $3,440
- Sarah & Sebastian: linear earrings from the “Invisible” line (7/15 Elle), price upon request
- Swarovski: circular earrings (8/15 Harper’s Bazaar), $190
- Vanessa Gade: gold vermeil earrings (6/15 InStyle), price upon request