Although the launch of the cinematic version of 50 Shades of Grey is over a year away, a kinky influence in jewelry is having a moment. The locking Cartier “Love” bracelet has become a classic. Spike designs have had a good long run. Now, led by designer Michael Kors, padlocks are showing up as elements of jewelry designs.
Here’s one of several ads run by Michael Kors in numerous publications promoting the padlock look.
A clear cuff accented with a padlock by Michael Kors appears in the November 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar in a picture spread on surfer style. Also pictured is a sporty wristwatch by Hermes.
The November 2013 issue of Marie Claire accents a street style look with a padlocked neck cuff from Michael Kors, along with a variety of other statement jewels: goldtone earrings from Patricia Field, a pair of clear cuffs from Michael Kors, a vintage Christian Dior chain necklace, a wide chain bracelet from Chanel Fine Jewelry, a bracelet with dangling circles from Chloe, a two-finger ring from Paula Mendoza Jewelry, and a twist ring from Vhernier. The model also wears a Diesel top, Diesel Black Gold skirt, and Chanel sneakers.
Quite a few other designers have locked onto the padlock trend.
The November 2013 issue of Elle profiles writer-producer Aisha Muharrar, featuring a gold padlock pendant necklace from Roberto Coin. Also pictured on the page but largely obscured are enamel spike drop earrings from Lulu Frost; a gold-plated pewter necklace from Alisa Michelle; and a crystal and brass link bracelet from Lulu Frost.
A relatively delicate padlock necklace from Freedom at Topshop is among the budget island-bright choices in the November 2013 issue of Marie Claire.
“Audrey Hepburn meets Sid Vicious” reports the December 2013 issue of Allure in describing a Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci padlock choker. Also pictured among the metallic selections of the issue’s gift guide are a Lucite and metal Michael Kors bracelet watch; a Hermes layered bracelet of white gold and diamonds; a Fendi necklace of leather and oversized chain links; and a Jennifer Fisher brass bracelet. Allure adds: “Stylists’ secret: Thick cuffs make wrists look dainty.”
The same necklace in white metal from Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci is featured in the November 2013 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. Also featured is a shapely ring from Bulgari.
The January 2014 issue of Self accents a sporty look with a lock necklace from Bond Hardware and a chunky chain bracelet from Diane von Furstenberg by H. Stern. The model also wears a vest, tunic and skirt by Rebecca Taylor and sunglasses from Italia Independent.
The February 2014 issue of Harper’s Bazaar centers a photo spread of blue-hued fashion with a Diana Broussard padlock necklace. Also pictured are cuffs by Gucci and Celine, a Valtags necklace, and a Swatch watch.
I close with a current ad from Tacori, a clever take on padlocks and jewelry.
- Alisa Michelle: gold-plated pewter necklace (11/13 Elle), $65
- Bulgari: shapely ring (11/13 Harper’s Bazaar), $1,200
- Celine: blue stone bracelet (2/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $820
- Chanel Fine Jewelry: wide chain bracelet (11/13 Marie Claire), price upon request
- Chloe: bracelet with dangling circles (11/13 Marie Claire), $390
- Christian Dior: vintage chain necklace at House of Lavande (11/13 Marie Claire), $648
- Diana Broussard: “Cobalt Lochetta of Love” blue resin padlock necklace (2/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $375
- Fendi: necklace of leather and oversized chain links (12/13 Allure), $950
- Freedom at Topshop: goldtone pendant necklace (11/13 Marie Claire), $20
- Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci: padlock choker (12/13 Allure), $2,485; white metal padlock choker (11/13 Harper’s Bazaar), $2,490
- Gucci: blue and silver cuff (2/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $1,250
- Hermes: sporty wristwatch with blue band (11/13 Harper’s Bazaar), $3,800; layered bracelet of white gold and diamonds (12/13 Allure), $154,000
- Jennifer Fisher: brass cuff bracelet (12/13 Allure), $725
- Lulu Frost: enamel spike drop earrings (11/13 Elle), $144; crystal and brass link bracelet (11/13 Elle), $360
- Michael Kors: clear cuff with padlock (11/13 Harper’s Bazaar), $325; neck cuff with padlock (11/13 Marie Claire), $395; clear cuff bracelets (11/13 Marie Claire), $275 each; Lucite and metal bracelet watch (12/13 Allure), $225
- Patricia Field: goldtone earrings (11/13 Marie Claire), $26
- Paula Mendoza Jewelry: two-ringer ring (11/13 Marie Claire), $325
- Roberto Coin: gold padlock pendant necklace (11/13 Elle), $3,900
- Swatch: blue wristwatch (2/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $120
- Valtags: necklace (2/14 Harper’s Bazaar), $55
- Vhernier: twist ring (11/13 Marie Claire), price upon request